Monday, May 12, 2008

The Keyschnect: The Hunt for Bondahar FINAL CHAPTER

Hello All,
This is the final chapter of The Keyschnect: The Hunt for Bondahar. I ask that you read the others in the series of posts that comprise the book, and comment for the story as a whole. Many thanks for reading, and I ask you to spread the word. I'm posting early this week, so you all can read it, the first chapters were posted in January.

Rexpennae Kansas


Chapter 14
Krethos severed the bar on the door to the rest of the castle and started in. The Princess' men were clearing the halls of the dead, and Krethos passed by unnoticed.
He passed through the gates into the courtyard, where the survivors of the battle were gathering. The wounded awaited attention near the wall gate, and the bodies of the dead were sorted by side and piled for burial.
Wagon trains rolled in to carry away the prisoners and wounded, and Krethos went to help load them up. He could see the uncertainty on the faces of the prisoners, and the pain on the faces of the badly wounded.
As the first wave of wagons left the Princess reemerged from the castle, dragging a man by his hair. She threw him to the ground in front of Krethos, "Krethos," she said, "I would like you to meet my cousin, Eravar."
Krethos smiled, "So he never left?"
"No," she answered, "My riders caught his decoy early this morning, and I received word during the battle. I found him in the dungeon, the only living thing down there."
"You fared well here." Krethos said.
The Princess lifted Eravar to his feet by his neck and started walking to her personal guard near the out wall, "That I did." She replied, "How did you fare?"
Krethos ran to catch up, "Not so well, he didn't have the Keys."
"Why would he say he did, then?"
"Because he had them at one point, but he said they were stolen."
The Princess threw her cousin to the ground in front of guards, "Watch him." She said, before turning back to Krethos, "Who took them?"
"He didn't say, only that they were put in the Razon Mountains."
"I see. This is troubling, I wish we knew more about this. Something feels wrong."
"That it may," Krethos answered, "But, nevertheless, I must press on."
"Did you not hear me? You're going into this without any plan, or foreknowledge of the risks or lay of the obstacles. There are seeming holes in Von Bondahar's story, and you would do well to investigate them."
"Princess Rose," Krethos said, "I have no time to waste, I must be in the race, lest I lose sorely. I understand your concerns, but I cannot now heed them."
The Princess sat down, "What will you need?"
"A horse for myself, and one for Meir, to get us back to the port."
"And beyond that?"
"I'll find what we need when we get there."
The Princess called for two horses, and Meir from the rear command. When they arrived the Horses were saddled, and Meir was told what he was to do.
All the preparations were completed within half an hour, and, although Glaxon was coming from the camp, Krethos mounted up on the horse, and Meir followed suit.
"Take care, Krethos," Princess Helen Rose bid him, "May the good fortune that has been yours continue to be so. Godspeed."
Krethos nodded to her, "Fare thee well, Princess."
His horse leaped forward, and he was gone.

THE END OF PART I
THE HUNT FOR BONDAHAR




PART II COMMENCES



Copyright © 2008-2009 Robert W. A. Nance
All rights reserved

1 comment:

Donita K. Paul said...

Hi, Wesley, I just stopped by to say hello. Did the CCWC contest inspire you to "write on"?