Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Update on the road of writing

I haven't posted here since March, for that, I offer no apology, I have had nothing written that I felt good about posting for all to see on the Internet. And so, there have been no posts, but I don't think I have any readers to begin with.

Anyhow, I'm back, but not with any new writing, I'm changing up the way I use this blog, I think I'll start posting about how my writing is moving along, and from time to time post an excerpt.

A good friend of mine, RS Hawley, has linked to this site, so I figure I better start using it.

RS Hawley has been published, her first book, entitled A Vengeance, was released at the beginning of September. It is a very good story, epic and enchanting. The characters drew me in shortly after their introductions, and I jumped back to the book at every opportunity to read.

Anyway, on to what this site shall be.


My last post was the second part of the opening of a brand new, untitled, fantasy story. It is still untitled, but now it's more of a project. Character and world development has lead this from a one book story, to a multi book saga. I've scrapped the opening I posted, and I've started over, working with a concept that introduces the whole storyline better

Heath is a man for hire, sort of. He works for kings and lords all across the world, but with the stipulation that his work be in opposition to the Lord of the north, Legionarior. So when the alliance of free peoples receive word of a plot most foul being prepared by the Lord of the North, Heath jumps at the chance to help prevent it, but the alliance has other plans, in the form of Elven Maiden, Donava Neverwood...

That's the first book's teaser. I'm enjoying the process of writing it, I haven't done much in the fantasy genre for several years, and I'm learning that it really is the most open ended I've worked with, so much possibility.


My other project is The Darkling Legacy, the first draft of the first chapter was posted here when I first conceived the story. It's by far my favorite story I've ever come up with. It deals with Donovan Nevil, and his search for some sort of treasure left behind by his best friend just before the world fell to pieces under a barrage of chemical bombs. It's been 28 years since that day, by Donovan's count, and he lives alone in a barren, dangerous land, scraping out a living as best he can, half-heartedly searching for this mysterious object. But it's not until the arrival of a strange young man with a connection to his past that Donovan takes impetus and sets out in earnest, and discovers along the way that his long dead best friend's treasure may very well be the darkling salvation of humanity.

I'm working on editing what I have of this one to a standard and style on par with what I'll be finishing it with, and I need to get myself really motivated to do that! it's difficult to do.

That's it for now, I might be back in a couple of days to give you all a look at my two main characters, Heath and Donovan.


Until then,

Robert W. Nance

1 comment: